Photo by: Emilie Ann Photography
http://www.emilieannphotography.com/

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Let's talk skirts...

Hello.

Before we get started, let's  review the clothing guidelines for Sister Missionaries, specifically for skirts. 

What is appropriate skirt length?

Skirts should fully cover the entire knee (front and back) when you are standing or sitting. Slits should not be above the knee when standing or sitting. 


Ps. I believe maxi skirts cannot cover ankles... and I have heard the slip extenders can be tricky in the MTC but I am not positive about that...

Okay now that we are all aware, let's get to the fun stuff...

There are many things to consider when planning what skirts to take/buy for your mission:

1. Cost - you don't want to over do it.

2. Care - low maintenance seems like a good idea, at least to me haha.

3. Fabric - match to your climate, you don't want to be sweating...or freezing .

4. Modesty - you are representing the Lord, plus you want to be comfortable.

5. Where in the world do I find skirts like these? - let's think outside the box.




//COST//



A mission is already expensive as it is, if we don't have to, lets not add more mula to that. At first I was all excited to get a whole new wardrobe and how cute I would look if I had all new outifts... Haha my mom has reminded me numerous times that although I want to feel good about myself and how I look:

A. My clothes will be worn out by the end most likely 

B. A lot of stuff I already have, I can actually take with me. 

C. Once you are out there, You most likely will not be as concerned about your wardrobe as you may be right now.

D. I will probably end up buying some clothes there, especially to replace worn out items, and live more like the people there. 
...Mother knows best. :) 


So one thing you should know about me is that I am kind of a bargain freak... and rarely do I buy things at full price if I can help it. 


Here are some secrets and some not-so-secrets:

As far as going out and BUYING skirts- look in the SALE and CLEARANCE items!!! 
Oh! and COUPONS!!!... I loooooove coupons. Did you know you can google coupons for certain stores and a lot of times there will be some that you can print off or use online? So great. Or that you can buy gift cards and coupons on Ebay and still save a ton of money? Thats a stretch, but it is an option. And being on email lists... now I know sometimes all the emails you get from stores are ridiculous BUT sometimes there are exclusive offers. 
*Also there are some missionary discounts at place such as Deseret Book.
This is kind of a given but look ONLINE and COMPARE pricing for similar items. Sometimes Amazon will have the same item as a more "well known" store but $10 cheaper.  

One of my most recent bargain purchases.... 
Get ready for this baby.




I saw this at Anthropologie, one of my favorite stores (but pretty expensive), a couple months ago and loved it. I first saw it as I was browsing the sale section, (are you surprised), it was originally $118.00, it was marked down to $69.95.... still too much for this girl. So i waited and watched and waited and watched until it got marked down to $29.95... now we are a business. 
Originally: $118.00
I bought it for: $29.95 
that's a little over 70% off! 
A STEAL.
Its great quality too, and its cotton which is great for the climate that I am in. 


//CARE//


If you know how you will be washing clothes, take fabrics accordingly. Chances are you will not be able to dry clean but you know your mission better than me of course! Wouldn't that be fabulous. For me, maybe a washing machine but maybe hand washing and it might switch off so you pick what you think you can handle! Easy care fabrics are always great though. Also someone had mentioned once to buy a travel steamer if you are worried about not having an iron? That's cool. That would be "loads" of fun... ha ha.. ha.


#wellsaid



//FABRIC//



Now Now... none of that Ryan... You can come to my homecoming.


For me, lighter fabrics, such as cotton will be best.

Match fabrics to climate, I honestly just googled my climate and what fabrics to use.

 -Tropical-

-Colder- 

Etc. 



//MODESTY//



Modesty is an attitude of propriety and decency in dress, grooming, language, and behavior. If we are modest, we do not draw undue attention to ourselves. Instead, we seek to “glorify God in [our] body, and in [our] spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:20; see also 1 Corinthians 6:19).

Our mission isn't about us, we are representing the Lord. 



Someone told me once that if your butt looks way good it in, then its probably not a good idea for the mish hahaha. (Dang it Right? just kidding)  Plus lets keep it modest for the Elders, we are in this together. Just remember that we want to draw attention to the Gospel, the Spirit, Jesus Christ, and not necessarily our clothing. Does that make sense? 

Also if you are a little more on the "crafty side", you can alter skirts that you already have by adding some length. Be sure to match fabric or something that looks good in preferably a lighter weight fabric so that it doesn't weigh down or change the shape of the skirt. You can go to a seamstress, a neighbor, a family member, or do it yourself! Or heck just go ahead and make skirts!! 

If you are reading this and are a long-femur-ed (meaning there are a few miles between the top of your hip to the knee) female, like me, then it can be hard and you feel like you will finding NOTHING that meets the guidelines except for maxis. You are NOT ALONE. Don't give up, they are out there! 

P.S. Watch those Slits!



//WHERE IN THE WORLD DO I FIND SKIRTS LIKE THESE??//



Well first, check your favorite stores, because well, they are your favorite for a reason... right? 
Luckily a lot of stores have "midi" sections in the skirts as well, which basically means, mid-calf length. 
BINGO. 

Others:

Ebay $-$$$

Thrift Stores (I love Savers) $

 ASOS $-$$$


Sorella Bella $$



lulaRoe.com $$


Downeast Basics $-$$
*website as well

I have actually tried this ^ one on and it is supppper comfy. I found a coupon in the "Entertainment" coupon book, they have at least 2 in there every year.

Modest Closet $$

Overstock $-$$


 Shabby Apple $-$$$


Etsy $-$$$



Winsome Jones $-$$
FREE SHIPPING 
(usually)


Latter Day Sister Missionary $$
Cool reversible skirts!!!!


Nordstrom Rack $-$$
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/nordstrom-rack


Tj Maxx $-$$
Ross $-$$
Local Boutiques
Ask around! :)

Overall, I know I wrote a lot but keep it SIMPLE and don't STRESS. Everyone's mission is different, everyone's bodies are different, and everyone's taste is different. These are just some of my personal ideas. Plus you are all beautiful, you guys could wear a paper bag and look great (a modest paper bag of course)... maybe don't do that but you get the idea. ;) 

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is True.
for more info visit here

Good Luck Sistas.


Con Amor

-Hermana B.










1 comment: